Saturday, May 29, 2010

I AM HERE.

I'm here. All settled into my little dorm room in NYC. It feels weird. It totally hasn't sunk in that I'm living here for two months yet, it just feels like a vacation right now. I'm sure in a week or so it will really hit me that I'm HERE. Since the second we landed here it was go, go, go. I am exhausted, besides last night I haven't gotten more than 5 or 6 hours of sleep since I can't even remember when. I don't even know when the tiredness will wear off because this city is so busy and I feel like all my days here will be jam-packed, either with work or exploring. Which I'm fine with. I only have two months here and I am determined to make the most of them. Which means spending as little time as manageable in my dorm room. There is so much to do and see in this city I have no excuse to be sitting, cooped up inside.
.
This morning my mom and I did a little test run on the subway to make sure I knew which one to take and where to go. It went well and I think I should be able to get to work just fine come Tuesday! But unfortunately, my mom just left and I am feeling pretty sad right now. I wish she could just stay at her hotel, which was only a block away from me, all summer. But that's selfish, so I guess skype will have to suffice instead.
.
Right now I am just waiting for Jenna to be done working at her second part-time job so we can go check out a market that is going on right outside our window and then maybe go to soho, or something. Maybe just wander! I wandered around for a good 3 hours by myself today, I walked up 5th ave and stopped into some stores. Of course I couldn't buy anything because OF COURSE I was overwhelmed by all the people and merchandise and was about to have an anxiety attack. Those who know me well know I hate shopping. I love buying and I love new things but I loathe the shopping part, I think it's the crowds and the inundation of so much STUFF that I just can't handle. I usually do most of my shopping either online or at Bop. I think I'll stick to online from now on. However, I did notice that I can shop at stores like Intermix very well (I stopped in there today and wanted everything, literally everything, I now know where my birthday presents are coming from!). I think it's because there is not much merchandise, and the things they do have are displayed very simply, so as not to overwhelm me and not many people were in there so I wasn't being bumped every which way and I didn't have to wait 20 minutes to try things on, and the sales people were very interested in helping me (one of their whole 5 customers).
.
Well I am going to explore this city some more. I'll write again soon, probably after my first day of work at Saks on Tuesday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment