Sunday, June 27, 2010

arts&crafts

I love making jewelry, it has been an interest of mine ever since I got my first friendship-bracelet-making-book back in third grade and spent an entire vacation making bracelet after bracelet. In highschool I took a beading class and learned the basics of beading and wiring and then during my first month long winter break in college I completely tore apart all of the offensively in-your-face costume jewelry I accumulated during high school and remade the pieces into less offensive statement earrings, a couple of bracelets and a necklace or two. But since then jewelry making has really been put on the back burner in my life and I really miss that outlet for creativity. I decided to change that the other day and make myself a statement necklace, much like those in-your-face necklaces I dismantled just a few years ago. And I was actually very happy with my finished product. I went to the bead store and knew exactly what I wanted: coral! After picking out the coral beads and the color of the glass beads that are used as spacers, I knew that I wanted to add a little something more to make it even more unique. I decided that a black ribbon would be the perfect contrast to the organic feel of the coral, in both color and concept. It was a very easy project and took less than an hour. I wore it out for the first time yesterday and I got a few compliments! It is so rewarding to have people compliment you on something you made. I plan on continuing these little projects!


The beads are from the Beads of Paradise bead store by Union Square. I would highly recommend checking it out if you are ever in the area.


Finished product.


Wearing my necklace out for the first time. For my birthday dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment