Tuesday, June 1, 2010

i feel like he's taking a bunch of alcoholics to a distillery

That is what one of the other interns said as we were all given a grand tour of the New York Flagship store. He was right. I felt like a kid in a candy shop. Except better. I've been in the store before but having an actual tour and hearing the interesting little facts about the store, like the fact that SFA is responsible for launching Donna Karan's career, and learning other little insider facts, which unfortunately I can't disclose, sorry! is very cool.
.

Today was a whirlwind, I had so much information to process! Today was just all orientation, a whole 9 hours of it! First we got to meet all the other interns, there are 60 of us, all from completely different backgrounds. It was great to meet other people and learn where they were from and what position they had, what they're studying. Most of the other interns are from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, or Massachusetts. So needless to say I felt like an outsider, sitting there talking with my embarassing midwestern accent and answering questions about cheese. Somebody asked me "aren't there like curd things there?" Oh Wisconsin's reputation precedes me. Then we got a lunch, which could be a dangerous thing working there, because corporate is directly across the street from the store. Um let's turn those lunch breaks into shopping breaks! Ha as if I could ever afford that. After lunch it was the store tour I already talked about, which was amazing and I'm pretty sure all of us interns were just drooling at everything. I decided the 5th floor is my fav, it has all the women's contemporary. I mean the 2nd and 3rd floors would be my favorite but the prices on those floor are like a thousand and up. Mainly up, up, up. Like up to the price of a nice BMW. ANYWAYS. Then I got to meet the actual buyer and assistant buyers I'll be working with. I am working in the WEAR deptartment, which is Saks' way of saying "bridge". It consists of 6 designers: Burberry, Elie Tahari, DKNY, Ralph Lauren Blue Label, Hugo Boss, and ZSpoke (Zac Posen's "less expensive line"). It will be really great to get to work with vendors and see all the behind the scenes action. I'm SOOO excited to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment