Sunday, June 20, 2010

lessons in living

This weekend went so incredibly fast, I can't believe I have to go to work again tomorrow, which I'm not complaining about because I get to start my project!! This weekend was pretty busy, like most. On Saturday Jenna and I found the. most. amazing. beadstore. ever! It's called Leekan Designs and all the beads are imported from Morocco, China, India, and other parts of Asia. The necklaces they sold were all hand-crafted from metal and beads and were all unique. We didn't have much time to look around, but we are definitely going to go back, and buy some beads and make our own hand-crafted pieces! I think I already know what I want to make, but it will have to be a surprise! Saturday night we met a few of Jenna's friends at Lil' Frankie's for a delicious Italian meal.

.

Sunday we finally made it to our FIRST museum: The Met!!! We were able to see the American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity exhibit and it was inspiring. So inspiring that we bought the book that goes along with it to put in our apartment next year. Each room in the exhibit was dedicated to a different time period in woman's fashion; it was very interesting to see how not only woman's fashion but also their identity changed as the years progressed and they entered the Flapper era and woman's suffrage movement. It also made me wonder.. why don't we have any of these amazing clothes nowadays?! We would never wear the beautiful pieces they used to, like the riding habits. But I guess we also don't have to worry about riding side-saddle anymore. And our tennis uniforms have undergone a makeover too. Sometimes I almost wish I was born in an entirely different century, I feel like life was easier and simpler back then (in certain ways).




The Leekan Bead Store



John Varvatos Store


An Installation piece in Washington Square Park



Egyptian jewelry: my inspiration for the bead store




modern art @the met


at Lil' Frankie's for dinner with Jenna :)

1 comment:

  1. love those magnifying glasses. Visit my blog to win a fun contest I am having right now
    xx
    Sahi
    www.barelyvogue.com

    ReplyDelete